Number 7 on my list of 47 things to do before I turn 48 is to try some new recipes. So this week I tried Spicy Chicken Jambalaya from the "what's for dinner" website
- 10 millilitre Robertsons Louisiana Cajun Spice
- 410 gram Chopped tomatoes
- 1 Knorr Chicken Stock Pot
- 15 millilitre Cooking oil
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 1 Red pepper, sliced
- 1 Green pepper, sliced
- 4 Rashers streaky back bacon, chopped
- 400 gram Chicken fillet, cut into strips
- 750 millilitre water
- 1½ cup White rice
- Heat oil in a large pot and cook the onion until soft but with no colour.
- Add the red and green pepper and fry until tender then add the bacon and fry for a further 5 minutes until the bacon is cooked.
- Add the chicken strips and brown well then stir in the Robertsons Louisiana Cajun spice and allow to cook for 1 minute to release the aroma and flavour.
- Stir in the rice then add the water, KNORR Chicken Stock Pot and the tinned tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and allow to simmer covered for about 30 minutes until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
Chopped onions sizzling away
chopping delicious smoked bacon which was made by my brother Robbie and his wife Tonia. That Louisiana Cajun Spice is awesome stuff!!
Bacon, onion and chicken browning in the pan
and we wait for 30 minutes...
My verdict : I would rate this meal probably 5 out of 10. I loved the rice and that Robertson's Louisiana Cajun spice is awesome stuff. But is was too tomatoey (yes - that is a word) for me - I don't like tomatoes. I'll definitely try it again but with some adjustments, maybe add some peas and corn or mushrooms, much less tomato, and add the chicken closer to the end of the cooking time. Be warned that it makes a monster portion : they say it serves 4 - they probably mean 4 big bodybuilders or teenagers that haven't eaten in a long while.