Friday, June 17, 2011

Leaning into it

Leaning into something is a way of 'half committing' to something without being totally committed.  Sometimes that's easier to contemplate and manage than total commitment.  Sometimes we put things off because we can't face being 100% committed; it seems too scary and final to fully commit to something.  Leaning into something means you can try stuff out without the pressure of being fully committed, you can adjust and do a bit more or a bit less without feeling like a total failure if things don't work out. 

In October last year, I started leaning into the possibility of doing regular exercise.  I committed to exercising just ONE DAY a week, because I know that exercising 3 or 4 days a week (like we're apparently supposed to) just won't work for me, a total exercise-hater.  I started doing kick-boxing with a personal trainer who comes to my home every Monday afternoon at 4pm.  A few months later some friends (also exercise-haters) joined me.  It's June and I'm sill doing the Monday afternoon kick-boxing class.  GO ME!  From almost no exercise to a regular once a week workout - now that's huge success in my little couch potato mind.  I try and add 2 walks a week to my exercise routine, but I don't beat myself up if I can't make it. 

Here are a few other things I am leaning into...
  • I'm leaning into the possibility of doing a yoga or pilates class once a week
  • I'm leaning into the possibility that I can manage my eating habits better - nothing radical, just more fruit and veg each day, and less sugar and fat
  • I'm leaning into the possibility that I can honour 'meatless Mondays' by eating vegetable protein instead of animal protein on Mondays
  • I'm leaning into the possibility that I can get on top of the clutter at home by doing just an hour a week of uncluttering
  • I'm leaning into the possibility that I can do just a bit of Bible Study each day, instead of one big study session on Sundays
  • I'm leaning into the possibility that I can live a gentler, less stressful life
What possibility are YOU leaning into?

No comments:

Post a Comment