Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Heritage Day

Heritage day in South Africa is celebrated on 24 September each year.  The original day was in celebration of a long-ago battle between the Boers and the Zulus, but in a democratic country, South Africans across the spectrum are encouraged to celebrate their culture and the diversity of their beliefs and traditions, in the wider context of a nation that belongs to all its people.
 
I spent the day quietly at home with Ruby - I did Bible Study and art journaling for most of the day.  In the late afternoon, I lit the braai fire and grilled some wors and lamb chops, which I had with naan bread and salad.  And an ice cold beer shandy (beer and lemonade).  I had the leftovers for lunch the next day.  It was a good day.


This 50-year old makes a kick-ass fire! 




I braaied, she slept

2 comments:

  1. An awesome Heritage day celebration. Love the mean fire and yummy tjops and wors.
    {I would love you to take part in my 1,100 Follower Give-away. Thank you so much if you have already entered and good luck}. Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful day Ali ... Ruby sure enjoyed having you at home.

    ReplyDelete