Sunday, August 12, 2012

Weekend in review

I enjoyed a delicious 4 day weekend.  Thursday 9 August was Women's Day, a good time to spend scrapping with Leonie and Ruby.  My friend Pat popped round for coffee and muffins in the morning, but couldn't stay.

Scrapping with miss Ruby on my lap is harder than it looks, but worth the discomfort; I worked on a mini book

Leonie completed this gorgeous tavel page - definitely worth scraplifting at some stage!

On Friday, I attended a class at the Memory Shed, and we had to do the class in darkness due to a power failure!  Lisa helped me bind my mini book project on her Zutter.  I spent the afternoon doing errands and some shopping at Cresta, and then had dinner at Thundergun with my friends Pat and Cathy.  My steak was perfectly cooked, but the overall food and service experience was not great.  Patrons are allowed to smoke in the bar so the smell of cigarette smoke drifts through the restaurant and it was awful - I won't go back.

Saturday was garden clean-up day, and we worked our butts off.  The handyman (Zoot) and his 2 guys cut down 6 trees, and we cleaned out a ton of junk from the garden.  I worked alongside the guys, and was exhausted, showered and in my pyjamas by 6pm on Saturday evening!


This pine tree is going down!

5 bags of potting soil, 5 bags of compost and 2 bags of bonemeal went into the garden beds
The guys also trimmed the remaining trees, ready for new growth in spring
The neat, well fed beds start to emerge.  We didn't do much planting, it was mostly just about cleaning up and preparing the beds.  We did not find even 1 earthworm, proof that the soil was dead and had not been fed for a very long time

With 4 trees gone from this area, the sunlight is streaming back through the windows into my home

On Sunday, I gently nursed my sore back (too much gardening, bending and heavy lifting on Saturday), and an icy wind blew all day, so miss Ruby and I stayed indoors and worked on creative projects



3 comments:

  1. The transformation in your garden is great, and by spring and summer, it is going to look beautiful. Well done, Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ali, your garden looks beautiful!!! I am shocked that you didn't find a single earthworm!! I can't wait to see the garden 'in the flesh' on Saturday. Sorry to hear that your back was sore after all the work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of work...but worth it all if I look at the last photos. So neat and ready for spring.

    ReplyDelete