Thursday, October 22, 2015

Roadtrip

I used to be very very active in the bird watching and conservation space.  I gave it up when I did an MBA in 2008 and then once I graduated, my niece Elizabeth was born so any spare time I had was spent visiting family instead of bird watching. 
 
As part of my big year, I'm keeping a bird list.  My longtime friend Gisela arranged a bird watching roadtrip for us last weekend with an overnight stay at a cottage in the bush.
 
We first drove through Pretoria to see the jacaranda trees in bloom but I think that we were just a bit too late to see them in full bloom.
 

We then headed to Mkhombo dam and spent a few hours bird watching and enjoying a picnic lunch




In the late afternoon, we headed to Birdsong cottages near Modimolle for the night





We were up early on Sunday morning with coffee and binoculars in hand







 
 
I really enjoyed the little roadtrip but I confess...I don't love birdwatching as much as I used to.  The passion is gone.  I will always love the outdoors and love birds, but I don't want to spend days just watching birds anymore.  We all change, I've changed, and I'm ok with that.  There are other things which are more important to me now.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I am not much of a bird watcher...but I love nature and quiet...I could live with a trip like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip sounds lovely ... Love the photos. It is always interesting when you have had a break from something that you used to love and find that you only like it now ... and like you say "I'm OK with that".

    ReplyDelete