Sunday, October 31, 2010

The most beautiful garden in Africa

I visited Kirstenbosch Gardens in Cape Town last Saturday, 23 October - it truly must be the most beautiful garden in Africa.  Although Proteas are winter flowers, I saw these gorgeous flowers in bloom in early spring.  For just R45-00, I spent an hour on a motorised golf cart with a wonderful guide (Lionel?) - he has been a gardener at Kirstenbosch for 25 years, and now acts as a guide in his retirement.  I got to see most of the gardens in an hour, got to learn a lot about all the plants, and saw a spotted eagle owl and her chick in broad daylight.  I highly recommend this gentle, informative tour around the gardens.

The Kistenbosch shop is also stocked to overflowing with gorgeous clothes, books, hand-painted tablecloths, and a ton of other wonderful goodies.  I shopped a lot, stuffed the treasures into my suitcase, and then hurried to the airport to catch my flight home to Johannesburg. 

A gorgeous day.  Today my comfort was this solitary, beautiful journey around Kirstenbosch Gardens, finished off with a skinny cappuchino on the patio.  Whispered Comfort at its best.

My chariot - what fun!

Nelson Mandela Statue and yellow Madiba Strelitzia's

Miniature Pincushion proteas

Rocket Proteas - awesome!

King Protea



Whispered Comfort on the patio

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Congrats, on a beautiful page, and a perfect subject to start off with. Welcome to the world wide web, hope to see lots from you here.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete